CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION

crkva 03

Church in Orascom had been buildingfrom 1868. until 1870. It is not known who was the architect of the church. It is, by its dimensions , smaller, architecturally modest building with harmonious proportions and simple shapes. Its basic form a rectangle that iends in the east with pentagonal outside, but inside a semicircular apse and the west entrance vestibule. Over the western part is the bell tower. The arched barrel vault over which is two parted roof. The apse is covered demicalottes. The massive walls were covered inside and out with plaster and painted. Distinct artistic value makes the iconostasis, painted by Stevan Todorovic, one of the most prominent Serbian artists from the second half of the nineteenth century. The iconostasis consists of 24 icons depicting saints and scenes from the history of The New Testament. In the northern pilaster is built a memorial plaque of white marble dedicated to fallen in the Balkan wars.


oltarMemorial monument complex in Orasac complements sepulchral for Teodosije Maricevic, located in the churchyard. This Jasenica duke and merchant is well known figure in the agreement on the outbreak of uprising in 1804. He was Born in Orasac and was one of the candidates for the leaderof the uprising. On the sepulchral of reddish brown stone until 1980. there was no epitaph. Then was carved the following inscription:

 

TEODOSIJE MARICEVIC+1807.
THIS GRAVE RECONSTRUCTED HIS DESCENDANT MARKO IN 1980